Composer Dr. Victor Agudelo (Colombia)
Victor Agudelo is a full-time associate professor of composition, and coordinator of the composition area at Universidad EAFIT in Medellin, Colombia. He serves as the music director of The Periscope Contemporary Music Ensemble, and belongs to the musical studies research group at the same institution. Mr. Agudelo is a member of the Association of Latin American Composers of Music of Art – Colegio de Compositores Latinoamericanos de Música de Arte (CCLMA).
In 2003, Mr. Agudelo finished his undergraduate musical studies with an emphasis in composition at EAFIT University, with professors Andrés Posada, Sergio Mesa and Moisès Bertran. He received his Doctor of Musical Arts (DMA) in composition, theory, and orchestral conducting in 2008 from The University of Memphis, with professors Kamran Ince, John Baur, and Pu-Qi Jiang, respectively.
His music is published and distributed by Filarmonika Music Publishing (Texas, USA), and has been recorded by Eroica Records and Harmonia Mundi. His compositions have been interpreted by ensembles throughout the United States, Central and South America, and Europe. Mr. Agudelo has received numerous awards, including:
- 2016 Houston Symphony Orchestra Young Composer Competition, with “El Sombrerón”
- 2009 ASCAP Foundation Morton Gould Young Composer Award, New York, with “Prisma Continental”
- 2005 Smit Composition Award, University of Memphis
- 2001 Universidad EAFIT Music Department Composition Contest, with “Sangre de Hincha”
- 2000 Universidad EAFIT Music Department Composition Contest, with “Credo”